The American Headache Society® (AHS) is a professional society of health care providers dedicated to the study and treatment of headache and face pain. Founded in 1959, AHS brings together physicians and other health providers from various fields and specialties to share concepts and developments about headache and related conditions. The Society comprises over 1,500 health care professionals with backgrounds as diverse as the hospitals, universities, clinics and practices they represent from around the world. Members of AHS share an interest in headache, facial pain and the nature of pain itself. For more information about membership, please click here.
|Mission||About This Website|
Founded April 8, 1959, during the annual meeting of the American Medical Association (AMA), AHS brings physicians from various fields and specialties together to share concepts and developments about headache and related conditions.
To supplement its annual scientific meeting, AHS developed an annual headache symposium in 1970 that continues today. The symposium addresses a variety of topics, with the goal of teaching health care professionals. AHS now holds one teaching symposia a year in addition to its scientific meeting.
In 1990, the Society formed the American Council for Headache Education (ACHE), a partnership between patients and health care professionals devoted to enhancing public understanding of this wide-spread and underestimated illness. ACHE is now known as the AHS Committee for Headache Education.
The core goal of AHS is to improve the lives of headache sufferers.
The objectives of AHS are to:
- Develop effective methods to reach and train primary care physicians as well as specialists interested in the field of headache.
- Raise the awareness and support of headache diagnosis and treatment among headache sufferers, their families, Managed Care Organizations, etc.
- Achieve increased support for research in headache from medical schools, the National Institutes of Health, industry, clinical departments and private sources.
- Develop relationships with key governmental, business and health care agencies and officials to communicate the economic, political, and human importance of headache.
To meet these objectives AHS will develop and provide scientific meetings, educational courses, a journal, and other methods contributing to the increased knowledge of headache and related painful conditions; enhancing the educational experience through innovation.
AHS’s educational objectives are to continue to improve the knowledge, skills and professional performance of physicians, psychologists and other health professionals in the care of patients with head, neck and orofacial pain by:
- Providing a forum for presentation of free scientific communication on research and clinical practice
- Providing educational symposia
- Improving education in medical schools and residency programs
- Identifying and developing new educational initiatives
- Supporting educational programs directed to people with head, neck and orofacial pain
The Society attempts to increase knowledge of headache and related conditions by:
- Promoting the exchange of ideas about the cause and treatment of headache
- Providing education for professionals and laity
- Developing and providing meetings, publications, educational courses and media communications
- Encouraging scientific research in the study of headache
- Annual scientific meeting
- Comprehensive postgraduate symposia and workshops
- Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, the official, peer-reviewed journal of AHS, published ten times each year
- Headache Currents, featuring scientific and clinical reviews in the field of headache medicine and co-published with the International Headache Society six times each year
- Scientific research
- Socioeconomic research to measure the impact of headache as it affects headache patients and physicians
The public portion of this web site offers clinically oriented information on headache as well as information about AHS programs and activities. This information is intended primarily for health care professionals. Headache sufferers and other interested non-professionals may wish to consult the information offered by the AHS Committee for Headache Education (ACHE).
The American Headache Society® (AHS) website is funded by the Society, with no outside commercial funding.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here.
The American Headache Society® would like to thank the following companies who offer unrestricted support to its educational programs:
None of these companies has any editorial control over the content of this site.
Formerly known as the American Association for the Study of Headache (AASH)